LONDON — Can’t stand your supervisor? You’re not alone. A new survey finds that nearly 1 in 5 people hate their boss, and far more think they’d do a superior job.
The survey, commissioned by the international animal charity SPANA, polled 2,000 British workers about their feelings when it comes to their higher-ups, and participants didn’t hold back. Forty-percent of participants didn’t think their boss was good at their job, and a third agreed they could perform better than their manager.
A fifth of employees say their manager is the single worst thing about their job — even worse than the commute. One in four actually look forward to their boss’ vacation more than their own!
“Having a boss you struggle to get on with can certainly be a source of annoyance and stress, and it’s clear that many people have had bad experiences at some point in their careers,” says Geoffrey Dennis, the Chief Executive of SPANA, in a press release.
While many participants admit they loathe their supervisor, slightly more than a fifth say they simply have no respect for them. In fact, 10% agreed they’re “arrogant” or “two-faced.” Sixty-two percent of respondents have actually quit their job simply to get away from their bosses.
So what makes a boss truly terrible?
The number one problem stemmed from communication. A fifth of employees say their management just doesn’t communicate well. As for the top 50 traits of a bad boss, as voted on by the survey’s respondents:
1. Doesn’t communicate well
2. I think they’re inconsistent
3. Sets their own rules
4. Doesn’t understand my work
5. I think they’re incompetent
6. Patronises me
7. Sets a bad example
8. Never says thank you
9. Says one thing and does another
10. Has mood swings
11. I think they’re passive aggressive
12. Brings their personal life to work
13. Obviously favors another member of staff
14. Makes me feel stupid
15. Delegates too much work to me
16. Never gives praise or feedback
17. Doesn’t actually do any work
18. Assumes I’m happy to do their work as well as my own
19. I think they’re overpaid
20. They think I’m a mind reader
21. I think they’re tight with pay rises
22. Sucks up to their own boss
23. Takes credit for other people’s work
24. Gives out banter but can’t take it
25. Makes me feel guilty for taking time off
26. Doesn’t have my back
27. Leaves early every day
28. I think they’re tight with bonuses
29. I think they’re unqualified for the job
30. Works from home all the time
31. Always picks on one member of staff
32. Has annoying catchphrases
33. Has bad breath
34. Calls me in the evening when I’m not working
35. Listens in to everyone’s conversations in the office
36. Repeats the same phrases and jokes over and over again
37. Tells me off in front of everyone instead of in a meeting room
38. Asks for my opinion then claims it as their own
39. Calls me at weekends when I’m not working
40. Makes unfunny jokes
41. Expects everyone to turn up on time when they’re always late
42. Awful dress sense
43. Blames me for things they’ve done wrong
44. Calls me when I’m on vacation
45. Always talks about previous successes
47. I think they’re very scruffy
48. Always expects a tea/coffee but never/rarely makes one themselves
49. I think they’re sexist
50. Bores everyone with their vacation photos and anecdotes
SPANA provides free veterinary treatment to working animal in developing animals around the world. The charity also teaches children to develop respect and compassion towards animals.